Waste

Waste

Friday 23 March 2018

Chatters Salon: Hair-raising Overpackaging

These bottles of shampoo and conditioner may be big, but they don't need a box this big.
During Chatters Salon's Boxing Day sale, I bought a large bottle of AG Hair Shampoo and one of AG Hair Conditioner. I bought them from Chatters Salon online. I buy big bottles of shampoo and conditioner, so that I won’t have to buy anymore for a long time, which conserves on packaging in the products and the packaging associated with shipping plus the impact of shipping itself. 

Unfortunately, when my purchase showed up in early January, the two large bottles were housed in an absolutely gigantic cardboard box. I have no idea why Chatters used such a huge box, but it was ridiculously over-sized and filled with packaging materials. 


The big box was full of plastic bubble packing materials.


The box was way, way too big even for 1 litre bottles.

My big bottles look positively miniature next to this gigantic box.

Using a smaller box would not only save on packing materials and cardboard, but it would probably also save Chatters shipping costs. Next time, I hope that Chatters uses a smaller box and avoids such hair-raising overpackaging.

Update:
The social media representative for Chatters Salon contacted me Friday night via Twitter:

"Interesting read. Thanks for your feedback and will share your thoughts with our shipping department. Have a great weekend."

I appreciate this swift response by Chatters Salon and the indication that something might be done to improve their packaging in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment